Ron's Double Cab
VW Double Cabs aren’t everywhere, you know. So when Ron decided that two new vintage VWs were needed in his family (we were already doing Bumble Bee for his girlfriend at the time, who’s now his wife), and that his would be a double cab, we went looking. Thing is, with the rarer models, it can take some hunting to source a good project vehicle. We found his 1961 VW Double Cab in Sacramento. Our friend Robert Skinner of Skinner Classics went to give it a look. When he gave us the thumbs up, we had the truck shipped to Hazel Green, Alabama – Home of the Darkside.
All in all, it was in decent shape for a 50+ year old work truck. Lots of metal work to do, but we’re starting with a good core.
Ron wanted a daily driver like no other. This 1961 VW Double Cab will be murdered out, slightly lowered, and as sinister-looking as they come. Here are a few details of the build plan:
- Red 9 Design front suspension
- Rack and pinion steering
- 4-wheel disk brakes system
- Hand-dyed custom Italian leather seats
- Totally kustom full leather interior
- Rear suspension is an Airkooled Kustoms Stage 2
- Custom fuel tank in the treasure chest – 54 GALLONS… you catch that?
- Linex carriage and bed
- Black on black on black paint
- Ceramic Pro paint protection