Sex and Candy
Sometimes when a client brings you a 1969 Karmann Ghia, it turns out to be at least five different cars all brazed (not welded!) into one. That was the case with this build. As always, blast reveals all. So, the parts car we sourced became the project car instead.
If you listen to the song “Sex and Candy” by Marcy Playground while looking at this car, you’ll understand. Mr. Ferguson wanted us to build him a Ghia that registered a 4.5 (out of 5) on the AKK project scale. This dressed to the nines full-rotisserie build is one of the most extensive restorations the shop has done to date, and it is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.
Here’s what we’re doing:
- Front and Rear Replaced with 1967 Bits and Pieces
- Red 9 Design Front Suspension
- Oversized Rear Sway Bar
- Kafer Cup Brace
- Mid-Trans Mount
- HD Front and Rear Urethane Mounts
- Massive T-IV 2775 Upright Motor (Hand-Built by Jake Raby)
- Twin IDF40’s for the Carbs (with Roller Linkage)
- Stage 4 Rock Crusher Transmission
- 15” Fuchs
- 4 Wheel Disk Brakes
- Kustom Paint: “I Want Juice” Juicy Ginger